How to Survive Winter: Get Hygge AF
Hygge is a Danish and Norwegian word which can be described as a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being.
You don't have to be Scandinavian to get hygge af.
Pronounced hoo-gah, hygge is more than warm drinks and candles (though those things might contribute to feeling hygge). It can be alone or with friends. At home or out. Ordinary or extraordinary. But always cozy and special.
Hygge is a mindset – it's about relaxing and being kind to yourself. It's about indulging in the things you love and avoding any sort of activity that could be emotionally overwhelming.
Hygge is about creating cozy social gatherings and intimate get-togethers with family and friends. It's the feeling of wellbeing and warm atmospheres. It's about feeling happy and relaxed, while enjoying the simple pleasures in life.
Hygge is self-care before self-care was trending.
If you don't know, now you know.
Teach me how to hygge:
- Sit fireside.
- Hold hands.
- Make hot chocolate, add 100 marshmallows.
- Rent a cabin.
- Ban the tv for a night. Listen to records instead.
- Have an Irish coffee .
- Light candles. Candles are very important to hygge.
- Install a dimmer switch on overhead lights.
- Take a brisk outdoor walk.
- Cross-country ski.
- Go for a horseback ride.
- Cycle (if weather allows).
- Take a long bath.
- Boycott itchy fabric.
- Boycott fast fashion.
- Read for pleasure.
- Get in a sauna.
- Put up a living wreath or Christmas tree.
- Eat toast and honey butter.
- Cancel all plans and shut-in for the weekend.
- Watch old home movies.
- Bake cookies with a friend.
- Do a hydrating face mask.
- Snuggle with a puppy.
- Make pasta.
- Have breakfast for dinner.
- Make citrus garland.
- Host friends for a potluck.
- Wear fancy pajamas.
- Visit Santa, ask for what you really want.
- Wander around a museum.
- Eat cheesecake.
- Put on woolen socks.
- Binge some reality tv.
- Blankets on blankets on blankets.
- Give a gift.
- Visit nana.
- Say, "I love you".
- Forgive someone.
Welcome to life in the slow lane, aka the good life.